Friday, February 13, 2015

Foreign Exchanges

I love Google translate, I use it all the time. I'm blessed with an international bevy of friends: Brazilians, Mexicans, Russians, Japanese, Czechs, Africans and more. My Facebook timeline often looks like the UN dribbled on it. And if Google didn't help me understand what their posts say, I'd be lost.

But sometimes I doubt Google's language precision. You see, it mistranslated a photo description I once sent to my exchange student's mom. It changed "darn attractive kid" to "damn sexy kid." Oops.

It gave me an idea, though. Think of the hilarity that would ensue on Facebook if we used Google to translate our status updates into foreign languages, and then retranslate them into English. In fact, this sounds like so much fun, I'm starting now.

(Japanese.)
Suddenly, you do not know what I'm saying. I mean, it was not a bold announcement that I made. Good part of this method of writing, however, is that you do not have to pay so much attention to the structure and whatnot statements. 'Cause, like, anyway give up Google's just gonna mess, right?

(Portuguese.)
Hmmmm, not bad, Google. You could have gone up a notch in translation skills. Kudos! But what if I get all higher thought of you and play some higher meaning of your way? You can get away with ideas like swinging participles and stock falls? Or if I drop some slang are you? You have to translate those game, Google? Because I'm about to go all out.

(Russian.)
This next section will contain more slang chemobezyana fleas. Another idiom (some of which I will be as I go along ), chemkloun car has clowns. In fact, Google, if you can manage this section, I'll take back every middle thing I ever said about you. You staneterok star of epic proportions, and all other translators worship their superiority.

(Czech.)
Well, I'm almost done. I must say that I was impressed overall. I mean, I did not believe Google translate to create a legal document or anything, but I thought that his ability has improved in the last year. But next time I want to send a note to my mom student exchange (in Spanish), I give a little more credit for Google. But I never tell her that her son is "damn good looking."

(English.)
Oh yeah, that's fun. Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping to chat!